Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Pizza Dough Recipe

Everyone asks me for my pizza dough recipe.  I don't think it is because it's *that* good (although it is yummy!) but because making homemade pizza is still a novelty for most people in a world of $5 Hot 'n' Readys and Boboli crust.  I figure that I can make two homemade organic pizzas for about $5.  Take that, Little Caesars.  Oh and it definitely is healthier.

Breadmaker Way (2 lb bread pan)

1 cup and 2 t warm water
2 T oil (I use olive or grapeseed)
3 cups flour (I usually use 2 cups All-Purpose and 1 cup Whole Wheat--the more WW you use, the thinner the crust...but still so good!)
1 t salt
1 t sugar or agave
2 t yeast
*I also sometimes add fresh chopped herbs like basil and parsley...I usually always add garlic powder and oregano as well...

Place all ingredients in bread pan in the order listed.  Set to dough...this recipe can be used on delay as long as you don't add cheese to it (duh).  :P  My machine takes 1 1/2 hours.  When finished, scroll down to Bake.  :)

Good 'ole Pizza by hand...(or food processor or Kitchen Aid) 
1 cup plus 2 t warm water
2 t yeast
1 t sugar
2 T oil (I use olive or grapeseed)

3 cups flour (I usually use 2 cups All-Purpose and 1 cup Whole Wheat--the more WW you use, the thinner the crust...but still so good!)
1 t salt

*optional...fresh or dried herbs such as basil, parsley, garlic, rosemary, oregano, etc...

You need to proof your yeast.  In a small bowl (I like to use a 2 cup measuring cup), stir water, yeast, sugar and oil.  Let sit for five minutes until it gets bubbly and foamy.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl (or food processor or mixer bowl), combine salt, flour and optional spices.  When yeast is finished, pour liquid mixture into flour mixture.  Stir until combined.  On a floured surface, take out the dough and knead for 5-10 minutes..adding a bit of flour as necessary to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.  If you are using a food processor or stand mixer with a bread hook, let it run for a few minutes until a ball forms.  No more kneading is required. When dough is soft and stretchy, put the dough in a large lightly-oiled bowl...coat the bottom of the dough ball and flip it so the top is coated too.  I ususally put  a plate or cookie sheet on top of my bowl and set it aside in a warm place for about an hour.

Bake
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.  Oil your baking sheets.

On a floured surface, take your dough ball and cut in half.  Roll out the dough with a rolling pin to your desired size.  Place crusts on pans.  Let rise for another 10-15 minutes while you get out your sauce, cheese and toppings.  When you are done getting everything out...place some sauce on crust (not too much!) and put on your toppings.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Enjoy!

From what I understand the dough freezes well. You just roll it up in a ball, saran wrap it, tuck it into a freezer bag and defrost the night before in the fridge. :)

Sometimes I make this recipe and make 8-10 personal pizzas.  I let them cool and freeze them in freezer bags.  I also will roll out the dough and take a cookie cutter that fits into my kids' school thermoses, cut them, top them, bake them and freeze them.  I take a few out the night before, put them in the fridge and on school day, throw them in the microwave for a minute or two...gooey (HEALTHY) pizza for school lunches! 


Birthday pizza for my littlest guy's 2nd Birthday.  :)

No comments: